Thursday, September 11, 2003

Remember

FILE PHOTO: The 'Tribute in Light,' a tribute to the victims of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks, light up the sky above lower Manhattan in this view from the Brooklyn Borough of New York, Monday, March 11, 2002. The  blue beams of the 'Tribute in Light'  will shine again on Sept. 11 and on every anniversary of the terror attacks.  (AP Photo/Daniel P. Derella)


The twin towers of the World Trade Center burn behind New York's Empire State Building in this Sept. 11, 2001 file photo. The Trade Center, fated to become one of the most controversial structures of the 20th century, is the focus of 'The Center of the World.' The film by Ric Burns, the final episode of his New York documentary, debuts Monday, Sept. 8 on PBS's American Experience. (AP Photo/Martin Lederhandler)


The New Yorker (9-12-01) | The Twisted Sky
When I walked out of the subway, I went into reportorial autopilot. I know this now because I am looking at my notes as if I had never seen them before.
...On the corner, not far from Murray Street, as thousands of frightened and crying people fled, I saw a giant corkscrew of singed metal sitting in front of an abandoned bagel cart. It took me a minute or so to realize that it was the engine of a jet plane.
It never occurred to me that there was much left to be scared about. I didn't feel that I was in any danger; I felt like an extra in a movie, waiting for Bruce Willis to come and save the day. But as I stood there, staring at the twisted sky, I began to realize what was happening. People were jumping or diving from the highest floors of the North Tower. Others were clinging to beams and ledges that had buckled when the plane plowed into the building. But, one by one, every few minutes, another person lost his grip or just let go. From down on the street it looked almost like a desperate ballet: some seemed to be flying, their arms sweeping gracefully as they picked up speed. Others tumbled and some just dropped, rigid, all the way down. I was standing next to a woman in a blue blazer that said F.B.I. on it. She was crying and I started to cry, too.

John Labriola captured these dramatic images of office workers evacuating Tower One of the World Trade Center on September 11 during the attacks. Labriola is an independent contractor with the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey on the 71st floor of the building and managed to escape with no injuries.



Palestinians cheering the World Trade Center attack.


WNBC (5-17-02) | Exclusive: Couple Captures WTC Attack On Tape
The couple said they're going public because people back home in Seattle don't realize the lingering impact of Sept. 11. They said when they bring up their continuing nightmares, friends have recently told them to "just get over it."

(If you didn't like this post, you may like this one.)

No comments: