Friday, September 19, 2003

The Friday Five: This week's questions:
1. Who is your favorite singer/musician? Why?

I'll say James Taylor. There's no easily definable reason: I don't analyze why I like or don't like music.

2. What one singer/musician can you not stand? Why?

Only one? Hmm. I don't bother to remember the names of musicians I don't like. That said, I guess Bruce Springsteen has yet to justify his existence.

3. If your favorite singer wasn't in the music business, do you think you would still like him/her as a person?

I have no idea. I don't know any "name" professional musicians as people, let alone "my favorite".

4. Have you been to any concerts? If yes, who put on the best show?

Very rarely. I mean, I can count the concerts I've ever attended on the fingers of one hand.

5. What are your thoughts on downloading free music online vs. purchasing albums? Do you feel the RIAA is right in its pursuit to stop people from dowloading free music?

The RIAA's concerns are valid, but their response is wrong. I think it would be far more effective if they could create a series of public service announcements in which big-name performers speak on its behalf, politely asking their fans not to download their music. Unfortunately, (1) that isn't the RIAA's style, and (2) it appears that not a lot of artists are on the RIAA's side in this, since only the very biggest actually make any money from CD sales. That says something.
But I don't want to hear from the RIAA: I want to hear from the artists. If this issue isn't about them, then it's just bookkeeping.

No comments: