Friday, January 31, 2003

The personals
The Friday Five:
1. As a child, who was your favorite superhero/heroine? Why?

Batman, of course.
When I was growing up, there were really only three superheroes: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Anyone else was "the rest". And young boys don't paint eagles on their chests and pretend to be Wonder Woman.
So it was between Superman and Batman. I can't remember who pointed it out first: The average kid knew he could never be Superman. He would have to arrange to have been born on another planet. I suppose most kids, at some point, suspect (or, in some cases, wish) that their parents would turn out to be not their real parents and their real parents would turn out to be royalty or rich or, I suppose, aliens-- but most kids know that isn't going to happen. We weren't going to grow up to be Superman.
But we could conceivably grow up to be Batman. All that had to happen was that our parents got killed in some brutal, traumatic crime, and we spent a painless ten years offstage in the lap of wealthy luxury training to be a superhero. (Some of us didn't really think about the fact that Batman's origin was really no more likely than Superman's.)

2. What was one thing you always wanted as a child but never got?

To have been an only child. :) No, seriously, let me think. Actually, I can't think of anything. I never really wanted much.

3. What's the furthest from home you've been?

Newark, New Jersey.

4. What's one thing you've always wanted to learn but haven't yet?

Oh, gosh, I don't know. I'm so very ignorant, I wouldn't know where to start.

5. What are your plans for the weekend?

Radio theater meeting.

No comments: