Thursday, May 02, 2002

Now it all makes sense
Several of my fellow bloggers have mentioned this article from CableWorld, but in my opinion it can't get enough exposure. This is Jamie Kellner, CEO of Turner Broadcasting, talking about using "personal video recorders" (TiVo) specifically to avoid commercials:

It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming.

Normal people do not call it "ad-supported": We call it free.

I realize that in a medium where all but the most remote areas have a hundred channels to choose from, you must feel rather possessive of your viewers. I also realize that, from your point of view, programming is just the stuff you run between commercials to bring people into the tent. I also realize that this interview was not intended for the general public, but for the industry insiders who read CableWorld. That Darn Internet.

However, we don't tune in for the commercials, Jamie. And my decision to tune to a Turner network (which I will think twice about, now) does not constitute a "contract" by any definition. Get over yourself.

LATER: See also Den Beste.

No comments: