Friday, January 31, 2003

The personals
Thursday Threesome:
Onesome: Echoes: What sound do you hear from time to time that immediately draws up an echo from the past?

Trains. Living in cozy Grant Park as I do, I'm very close to dozens of railroad tracks (this may seem odd for a downtown area in a major metropolitan city, unless you know Atlanta), and distant train whistles often sound in the night. It never fails to move me.
If you spend most of your time in front of a computer, it's easy to forget that some things haven't changed.

Twosome: Visions: ...and what about something you might see now and again that evokes a scene from days gone by?

Here in Atlanta, things change very fast. Not much is left standing with much age to it. Occasionally I'll spot a structure, or a part of one, that has been there for a while, and I'll flash back to what the neighborhood used to look like. Every now and again I gaze at the old Sears store... which is now City Hall East Annex... and think about Ponce deLeon Field, where the Atlanta Crackers played, which used to stand across the street where the Borders, Staples, and Home Depot are now. That's the trouble with being a native Atlantan: We get lost in used-to-bes.

Threesome: Memories: "Misty water color memories"? Is there a painting or a picture you like to look back on just to remember a certain time or place?

Not really. We lost most of our photographs in a house fire back in '99. The closest I have is an aerial photograph of McDonough, GA (where I grew up) that I downloaded from somewhere. It dates from when I lived there, and when I look at it I can almost smell the drugstore where I used to buy books and comics.

No comments: