Thursday, January 10, 2002

"Duh" Headline of the Week
Can Money Buy Happiness? Apparently, Yes
LONDON (Reuters) - The adage that ``money can't buy happiness'' is quite wrong, with even quite small lottery wins or inheritances able to produce lasting contentment, new research published in Britain has shown.

Professors Andrew Oswald and Jonathan Gardner of Warwick University in central England tracked 9,000 families over the past decade to study whether there was a link between cash windfalls and contentment.

``We find a very strong link between cash falling on you and higher contentment and better mental health in the following year,'' said Oswald, who is a leading researcher in the area of happiness and economic performance.

I don't know about that, I think I need more empirical evidence. I've done my part: I bought a lottery ticket...

No comments: