Thursday, December 11, 2003

The Thursday Threesome

:: The Christmas Song, Part I ::
Onesome: The - What is the "bestest" Christmas decoration in your mind? You know, the one that says, "This is Christmas!"

For a long time it was Rich's Great Tree. It's location atop Rich's downtown insured that anybody driving through downtown Atlanta would see it.
Now that the Tree is at Lenox Square, I never see it. I'm hard pressed to think of anything.

Twosome: Christmas - What style of Christmas ornaments do you like to see? Are you a glass ball person? ...or how about that bow thing? Maybe Christmas Muppet characters everywhere? Hmm?

Call me unimaginative. Christmas decorations are glass balls.
I'm not fond of the look of a tree full of licensed characters. If it were just me... well, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't have a tree at all. Or I'd make one out of green foil and hang it on the wall with a spotlight on it. But I like the look of a tree with all the decorations, balls and lights, the same color. Or all the balls one color (say, red) and all the lights another (say, white).

Threesome: Song - ...and your favorite Christmas Song? Is there one that just sets the season for you when you hear it? I mean, even when you're in a "Ho-Ho-Humbug" mood?

There are far more songs that put me in a "humbug" mood, songs that remind me of Christmas-as-promotional-tool.
But there are a handful that always lift my spirits. Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." Al Jarreau's cover of "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)". The Roches' fall-down-funny Long Island "Winter Wonderland." Jack Cassidy's "The Miracle of Now" (aka "Christmas Far More Glorious Than Grand", from "Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol"). And almost anything from "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

No comments: