Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Pick your battles
Asymmetrical Information: Flying under false colors
I've never actually said I was a Democrat, you understand. I've never lied about any of my beliefs. I've just failed to mention that I thought the person I was speaking to was wildly, impossibly, horribly wrong about 90% of their core ideas.
...The fact is that in New York, if you want to get along with people, it's best to just let them think you're an arch-liberal.

The idea that there are people like Jane Galt in New York, people who haven't bought into the apparently-prevailing political winds, is the most encouraging thing I've heard in a long time.

On the other hand, they did elect Senator Clinton.

Here's a wild idea: What if everybody actually said what they thought? Did what they felt was right? Voted their conscience, instead of the least-objectionable "major" party line?

(See also "Another Kind of Insight", for the story of an occasion when I felt subversive.)

No comments: