Thursday, August 28, 2003

Blatant self promotion or fair warning? You make the call
After reading Lileks go on for days over substituting for Hugh Hewitt at a remote broadcast from the Minnesota State Fair, and as a result decide he's going back into radio, I started breathing heavily. It must be nice to be in a position where one can simply decide to get a radio show and get one. Goodness knows it hasn't worked for us.

Maybe I should call Lileks, once he has a show to call, and try to become a Character.

Anyway, those of you who know me probably already know that the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company, of which I have been a member since 1986, will be appearing at Dragon*Con. This year will be a make-or-break year for us, I think, so if you're going to be in Atlanta this weekend, drop by the Hyatt Regency and say hi.

Our first show will be during the opening ceremonies, at 7:00 pm Friday. I won't be there, because I will be filling in for Bill Ritch (our producer/engineer, who has to be there) on a panel about "Robert A Heinlein in the 21st Century" that is scheduled for the same time. It is my hope to take that opportunity to politely plug my audio adaptation of "Solution Unsatisfactory", which should be available for sale at the convention, God and UPS willing.

cover image for Solution Unsatisfactory


Other ARTC appearances are:
A panel on the history and technique of radio drama at 5:30 pm Saturday;
Our major production of the weekend, "The Island of Dr. Moreau", at 7pm Sunday;
And our evil twin organization, MRAP, presenting... well, who knows what, at 2:30pm Monday afternoon.

My family and I will have a room at the hotel, so I won't be hanging out at the blog much. Here's something to look at and meditate on while I'm gone. Does it make sense? No. Some things need no excuse.

Vanessa Fanesi of Venezuela on the catwalk during the official presentation of the 2003 edition of Miss Italy in the World beauty contest in Rome, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2003. (AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis)


LATER: Sorry, I think the link is dead now, but I'm hosting the picture myself...

No comments: