Thursday, February 13, 2003

The personals
Thursday Threesome:
Onesome: Three- Hmmm... There's a three day weekend coming up for some people. Do you have Monday off and have some special plans? ...or is this just another weekend (or maybe one with two Sundays)?

Well, I'm still on disability, so I have every day off. (I expect I'll be back at work soon.) School is closed, so the kids will be home. I do not expect to do anything special for President's Day.

Twosome: Blind- It's holiday time once again (tomorrow silly!). Do you have to turn a blind eye to anything when these days come around? ...or are you surprised at what shows up?

I have no idea what you're trying to ask here. Perhaps this question will make more sense after I've seen some of the other responses. Are you asking if I have to willfully ignore things in order to be surprised by Valentine's Day plans? C'mon, it's only Valentine's Day. Diamonds and island retreats are making a bit too much of a deal over a contrived holiday. I might get her some chocolates, because she likes chocolate -- but I also might wait until after Friday so I can buy them on sale, and I don't think she'll mind. Heck, she writes the checks around here. They'll taste just as good. (I guess. I don't eat chocolates, generally. I had an Oreo -- one -- a couple of weeks ago.)

Threesome: Mice- Enough mousing around! Are you ready for tomorrow? ...or are you stopping by the pushcart people on the way home (I'm betting the guys and gals have really different answers on this one).

You know, this is the kind of sexist assumption that tempts me to stop answering these questions. As may be obvious now, we don't generally trade gifts for Valentine's Day, and I neither expect nor want one. However, I've had a present for her for two weeks. Heck, it's been wrapped for two weeks. The opportunity arose to get a little something (I'm not being coy, it really isn't a big thing) she's been wanting, that I know she'll appreciate. It's... nope, can't tell you. She reads this. I've already said too much.
(LATER: Now that I've given it to her, I can tell you it's a Bel Cream Maker. Generically, it's a hand emulsifier, useful for making cream or mayonnaise. She saw it in Cook's Illustrated, where unfortunately I can't link to the specific article. You can usually find one at eBay or Wheel of Time; Paul Marsden's Online Cookbook has an entertaining description of food-based emulsions. I love the web.)

No comments: