Monday, November 03, 2008

Buh-bye, Circuit City

I can't say this surprises me, but according to a PDF available from Circuit City themselves, the 155 stores that they're closing no later than the end of the year include all of the Atlanta area stores. The closest store staying open -- for now, I guess I should add -- is in Rome.

I seem to recall that some culling of the home-electronics herd was expected this Christmas, due to widespread availability of HD televisions at a much lower price point than expected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember that Circuit City, just a few years ago, was the best performing company in Jim Collins' book "Good to Great"? Obviously, Mr. Collins' approach to management is worth some reconsideration given the fall of Circuit City. It would seem a new approach to management would be worth considering. Read more at http://www.ThePhoenixPrinciple.com

Linda said...

I'm not surprised. The store was always too darn expensive.

Anonymous said...

Spouse & I bought a Panasonic stero 10 or 11 years ago @ Circuit City. It was the store to buy electronics. Goes to show ya no is infalliable according to how the economy goes. Money seems to be the new idol to be worshipped these days