Thursday, November 01, 2007

I'm dreaming of a white Halloween


Tacky Christmas
Originally uploaded by ulla*.
You'll never guess what happened yesterday.

Well, that's a lie. You'll guess quite easily if you live in Kansas City. The lucky listeners of KCKC (Star 102.1) are now among the first in the nation to enjoy all-Christmas music, all the time.

Yes, on Halloween.

Crosstown rival Cuddle 98.1 wasted little time in doing the same, today, November 1.

Meanwhile, Walmart is making five of its "Black Friday" specials available tomorrow.

CORRECTION: The first radio station to flip their format to all-Christmas in 2007 was WNOU Indianapolis, who did the deed on October 8 to begin their "93 Days of Christmas". Incidentally, they're also getting their "contemporary hit" audience out of the habit of listening to them, since they're changing their call letters to WEXM and their format to all-talk effective January 9. But there's still a WNOU, since WYJX has bought the station's call letters, format, intellectual property, and as many of the existing staff as are willing to make the move. I really don't understand the radio industry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hate Halloween?

I hate the 'All Christmas music, all the time' format for radio stations.

I can take about ten minutes of 'Christmas music' standards and I'm done. For the year.

RNB

Anonymous said...

I actually like Christmas music. But then I like classical music and show tunes -- both healthy sources of Christmas music.

HOWEVER, I think it should be a capital offense to play Christmas music on Muzak in stores or other public places in the period before Thanksgiving or after Epiphany.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Well, I'm guilty; I was listening to "Holly" (XM103) the entire time I was doing errands today, but then I was buying things for Christmas. :-) However, I don't know why XM, which already has channels devoted to Christmas music, and Sirius, which doesn't, must take over other music channels at Christmastime. Some folks just don't want to listen to it and they shouldn't have to.

Incidentally, on our way home last Saturday, James and I saw a house decorated for Christmas. No, they were not Halloween lights, and one of the decorations was a snowman. Aieeee!

Anonymous said...

As of 11-26, the following Atlanta-area radio stations have already gone “All Christmas Music, All the Damn Time”:



WFSH-FM: 104.7

WLTM-FM: 96.7

WSB-FM: 98.5

WUBL-FM: 94.9



http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/Todays/Christmas.htm